Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql] - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Daniel Bruce Lynes
Subject Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql]
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Friday 04 April 2003 22:19, Ami Tabak wrote:

> One of the main features of the  product is the ability for none
> programming users to do \"on the fly\" sql queries on the data the number
> crunching sub system produces.
>
> I\'m looking for an application that will serve as the user\'s graphic
> front end, something like Microsoft\'s Access front end. Reasons for not
> using MSAccess in the first place are commercial reasons.

If you're looking for something exactly like the Access front-end, I believe
you're out of luck.  The GUIs I have seen for PostgreSQL range from very
crude to somewhat crude (pgaccess, pgadmin, tora).  TOra is a very polished
GUI, but it's far from being polished for the PostgreSQL support.  Its Oracle
support is very polished, however, so I would imagine it'll eventually be
polished for PostgreSQL support.

OTOH, if you're wanting a Java solution, the only one you can probably
consider is DB Visualizer.  It's very polished, and supports any database
with a JDBC driver.  Best of all, it's free as in beer.

The URL for DB Visualizer is http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/index.html.
The URL for TOra is http://www.globecom.se/tora/.
pgaccess comes with PostgreSQL, and requires the TCL and TK runtimes.
There is another pgaccess downloadable separately (I'm guessing it's the same
GUI, but the one in the PostgreSQL tree is not the same..I suspect the one in
the tree has not been updated in a while).  The URL is
http://www.pgaccess.org/index.php?page=Users.
The URL for pgadmin is http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/.  pgmigration is also
available from here.  It is a plugin for pgadmin II, that facilitates
migration from Oracle to PostgreSQL.