Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] So what is the current documentation status? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] So what is the current documentation status?
Date
Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] So what is the current documentation status?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I really like libpq.3 as a manual page. I use it for quick reference.
> I have printf as a manual pages, and that is a library function.
> How is libpq.3 different?

printf == single function
libpq  == entire library of functions

It should be noted that many people have trouble giving up man pages.
But we have limited resources for documentation, and man pages clearly
fall at the bottom of the list in usefulness and viability (at least for
things like full library interfaces). We should choose the most
appropriate format for each of our documentation resources, at least
until we have the documentation under control.

There is someone working on a man page output from the sgml, and if that
comes through then this is pretty much a moot point.

btw, had a chance to look at the new reference pages? They are near the
end of the User's Guide on the web site and in /pub/patches on the ftp
site.

                       - Tom