Re: DocBook 5.2 - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DocBook 5.2
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Mon, Sep  5, 2022 at 01:15:08PM +0200, Álvaro Herrera wrote:
>> OK, these seem quite significant changes that are likely to cause great
>> pain.  So I repeat my question, what are the benefits of making this
>> change?  They better be very very substantial.

> Would we be converting docs for all supported versions of Postgres to
> use DocBook 5.2, or just the most current version?  If the later, we
> would find backpatching a pain for five years.

Yeah, I think we'd have to convert all the supported versions to
make this palatable.  If the conversion is sufficiently automated,
that might not be a big lift.  (If it's *not* automated, I think
the change would never get off the ground even for HEAD, because
the docs are too much of a moving target.)

            regards, tom lane