Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
Re: location of the configuration files
List pgsql-hackers
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> I'm not entirely sure why SE Linux has a problem, seeing that postgres
> needs read-write access to all the files in $PGDATA, but assuming the
> need is verified, I could do this by moving the pid file from
> $PGDATA/postmaster.pid to /var/run/postgresql/5432.pid and similarly for
> other ports.  This would also have the benefit of being more FHS
> compliant  What do people think about that?

No chance at all.  Breaking the connection between the data directory
and the postmaster.pid file means we don't have an interlock against
starting two postmasters in the same data directory.

I do not see the argument for moving the pid file anyway.  Surely no
one's going to tell us that the postmaster shouldn't have write access
to the data directory?