Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 02:49, Tom Lane wrote:
> Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> > I'm not entirely sure why SE Linux has a problem, seeing that postgres
> > needs read-write access to all the files in $PGDATA, but assuming the
> > need is verified, I could do this by moving the pid file from
> > $PGDATA/postmaster.pid to /var/run/postgresql/5432.pid and similarly for
> > other ports.  This would also have the benefit of being more FHS
> > compliant  What do people think about that?
>
> No chance at all.  Breaking the connection between the data directory
> and the postmaster.pid file means we don't have an interlock against
> starting two postmasters in the same data directory.

Yes; that would take a lot of effort to get round. Not worth it, I
think.

> I do not see the argument for moving the pid file anyway.  Surely no
> one's going to tell us that the postmaster shouldn't have write access
> to the data directory?

I'm waiting for a response on that one; I don't understand it either.

========================================   "God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his      face to shine
uponus."          Psalms 67:1