IRIX and large SMP: donations of shells &c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Avriette
Subject IRIX and large SMP: donations of shells &c
Date
Re: IRIX and large SMP: donations of shells &c  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
I'm going to be overseeing a move from a Mac-based postgres database (100k
transactions/day, roughly 5M rows) to an SGI Octane in the near-ish term.The
machine will only be two-way SMP. I'd like to see it working 64-bit and
compiled with MIPSpro. I have a friend who has mostly succeeded in getting
it compiiled with MIPSpro, but Neil told me today there might be concerns
with SMP systems > 4cpu's. I offered access on a system with 6 cpus (SGI
Challenge L, R4400's). I may have access to other machines, including a
36-cpu Octane with R10k's. If this is useful to somebody on the core group,
please let me know. I'd really like to see Postgres understand MIPSpro and
irix out of the box. I understand there is some difficulty at present.

I'd appreciate a Cc on the thread, if possible.

Thanks,
alex