Re: PostgreSQL package download for Solaris 11.4 - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marcel Hofstetter
Subject Re: PostgreSQL package download for Solaris 11.4
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi

> Now if we are talking about providing Solaris downloads on our own
> site again, that's definitely something we can discuss. IIRC not a
> single person comlpained/noted when we removed them when they stopped
> being maintained -- but no complaints doesn't mean that nobody is
> using them. And if Marcel is willing to commit to maintaining them
> again, then we should definitely consider it. But that includes things
> like timely updates after every minor release, and maintaining all
> versions, not just 13 and 14 (assuming there is not a technical reason
> making it *impossible* to build other versions).

After Tom Lane fixed an issue with buildfarm tests for 11 and 12,
I added this versions for Solaris on our Page

https://www.jomasoft.ch/downloads/#js-opensource

We build the Solaris binary packages within 1 or 2 days after you guys
released the source code.

>> Also, I don't think it's fair to complain about the javascript part.  While I
>> agree it's laughable that it's now apparently impossible to find a page that
>> displays text or links without millions of lines code of javascript

The download page is not for you guys. It is for Solaris users.
They have javascript enabled anyway, because the Oracle Support Portal
and many other modern websites use/require javascript.

For MacOS and Windows a link to external pages is no problem.
Why is it a problem for Solaris and AIX?

As we do the work of the buildfarm, building and creating the packages,
we will keep our page. For me it makes no sense to maintain additional
sites. Where is the benefit for you if the packages are on your site?

Best regards,
Marcel