Re: pgsql: Clarify dynamic pl/pgsql item and add URLs. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Clarify dynamic pl/pgsql item and add URLs.
Date
List pgsql-committers
> We had reasonable problems with Oracle's outer-join syntax, while I
> don't see the same fundamental issue with => vs AS, and PL/pgSQL is
> patterned on Oracle's PL/SQL.

The fundamental issue is reserving what used to be an available operator
name, in the service of a syntax that's not got anything to recommend
it other than being Oracle-compatible.  AS is already a fully reserved
word, so we'd be taking no risk of breaking anyone's app if we use it.

And plpgsql has got nothing to do with this, because we're talking SQL
syntax not plpgsql.

            regards, tom lane