Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Here is a different proposal: documenting instead that disabling that
>> parameter on Windows can improve performance, at the cost of losing
>> information verbosity for processes.

> The benefit on windows seems pretty marginal, given the way it has to be
> viewed. People installing processexplorer et. al. to view a handle that
> have to know about, will be able to change the config.

Yeah, I think I agree.  It would be bad to disable it by default on
Unix, because ps(1) is a very standard tool there, but the same argument
doesn't hold for Windows.

Another route to a solution would be to find a cheaper way to update
the process title on Windows ... has anyone looked for alternatives?