Re: Solaris testers wanted for strxfrm() behavior - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Solaris testers wanted for strxfrm() behavior
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
>> PostgreSQL 9.5 adds a strxfrm() call in bttext_abbrev_convert(), which does
>> not account for the Solaris bug.  I wish to determine whether that bug is
>> still relevant today.  If you have access to Solaris with the is_IS.ISO8859-1
>> locale installed (or root access to install it), please compile and run the
>> attached test program on each Solaris version you have available.  Reply here
>> with the program's output.  I especially need a report from Solaris 10, but
>> reports from older and newer versions are valuable.  Thanks.

> I did consider this.

> Sorry, but I must question the point of worrying about an ancient bug
> in Solaris.

I think the point of Noah's query is to find out whether "ancient" is an
accurate description.  If indeed nothing newer than Solaris 8 exhibits
the bug, I'd be okay with not working around it, but otherwise we have
some decisions to make.

Also, the post Noah dug up was merely the oldest description of the
problem.  I believe what prompted us to actually change the code was
some reports in July 2003:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/56510AAEF435D240958D1CE8C6B1770A016D2DB9@mailc03.aurigin.com
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/56510AAEF435D240958D1CE8C6B1770A016D2DB0@mailc03.aurigin.com

(the archive threading here is pretty crappy, but you can poke around
among posts of similar date)

Those reports suggest that the problem was observable in many non-C
locales on Solaris 8, not only Icelandic.