Re: handling unconvertible error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: handling unconvertible error messages
Date
Re: handling unconvertible error messages  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Victor Wagner <vitus@wagner.pp.ru> writes:
> If error occurs during processing of StartMessage protocol message,
> i.e. client request connection to unexisting database,
> ErrorResponse would contain message in the server default locale,
> despite of client encoding being specified in the StartMessage.

Yeah.  I'm inclined to think that we should reset the message locale
to C as soon as we've forked away from the postmaster, and leave it
that way until we've absorbed settings from the startup packet.
Sending messages of this sort in English isn't great, but it's better
than sending completely-unreadable ones.  Or is that just my
English-centricity showing?