Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...
Date
Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...  (Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com>)
Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-general
Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> writes:
>   We have our team of Windows developers, leveraging PSQL.  But honestly,
> it feels crippled after using PSQL in Linux for any length of time.  Losing
> auto-complete sucks (multi-line query recall/editing is lost as well).

>   In researching this problem, it appears that the decision was made like
> 17yrs ago, when windows did not have a realistic "terminal" type
> interface.  Assuming we target Windows 8.1 or higher, I believe this goes
> away.

It'd certainly be nice if we could use Readline on Windows.  I do not
think we want to buy into maintaining our own fork of Readline, if that's
what you're trying to suggest.  If it "just works" now, that'd be great.
Otherwise, maybe you should be speaking to the Readline maintainers
about what changes are needed in it?

            regards, tom lane