Re: Release cycle length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: Release cycle length
Date
Re: Release cycle length  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

--On Tuesday, November 18, 2003 04:43:12 +0100 Peter Eisentraut
<peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> Neil Conway writes:
>
>> That said, I'm not really sure how we can make better use of the beta
>> period. One obvious improvement would be making the beta announcements
>> more visible: the obscurity of the beta process on www.postgresql.org
>> for 7.4 was pretty ridiculous. Does anyone else have a suggestion on
>> what we can do to produce a more reliable .0 release in less time?
>
> Here are a couple of ideas:
>
> 0. As you say, make it known to the public.  Have people test their
>    in-development applications using a beta.
>
> 1. Start platform testing on day 1 of beta.  Last minute fixes for AIX or
>    UnixWare are really becoming old jokes.
The only reason we had last minute stuff for UnixWare this time was the
timing of PG's release and the UP3 release from SCO.

I try to test stuff fairly frequently, and this time I didn't know when,
exactly, SCO would make the release of the updated compiler.

LER