Re: thousands comma numeric formatting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: thousands comma numeric formatting in psql
Date
List pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@surnet.cl> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 04:03:43PM +0300, Eugen Nedelcu wrote:
>> This is a patch for psql client and not for the backend.

> I think it would be much nicer if it was a backend setting.

Doing this as a backend setting has been proposed and rejected before.
The risk of breaking client code seems to outweigh any possible value.

As a psql setting, though, it seems relatively harmless --- certainly
no more dangerous than \x or the other pset formatting parameters.

> If it depended on the locale setting (LC_NUMERIC, I think)

Yes, I wanted to ask that too --- if the patch can cope with locales that
exchange the roles of comma and period, that would make a lot of people
very happy.

            regards, tom lane