Re: pg_dump & performance degradation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_dump & performance degradation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 05:28 29/07/00 -0700, Don Baccus wrote:
>At 02:14 PM 7/29/00 +1000, Philip Warner wrote:
>
>>>(AFAIR no one's ever asked for this before, so...)
>>
>>like most of these things (at least for me), it is personally relevant: I
>>also experience severe peformance degradation during backups.
>
>I can't think of any Unix utility that does this, offhand.
>
>"nice" doesn't help at all when you try it?

Only marginally; and what I really need to do is 'nice' the backend, and
when I do that it still only helps only a little - even if I drop it to the
lowest priority. I think a process with only a little CPU can still do a
lot of I/O requests, and perhaps it is getting swapped back in to service
the requests. This is just guesswork.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/