Re: Lock on ShmemVariableCache fields? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zhang Mingli
Subject Re: Lock on ShmemVariableCache fields?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
HI,

On Oct 31, 2022, 10:48 +0800, Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com>, wrote:

Hi, hackers

The VariableCacheData says nextOid and oidCount are protected by
OidGenLock. However, we update them without holding the lock on
OidGenLock in BootStrapXLOG(). Same as nextXid, for other fields
that are protected by XidGenLock, it holds the lock, see
SetTransactionIdLimit().

void
BootStrapXLOG(void)
{
[...]

ShmemVariableCache->nextXid = checkPoint.nextXid;
ShmemVariableCache->nextOid = checkPoint.nextOid;
ShmemVariableCache->oidCount = 0;

[...]

SetTransactionIdLimit(checkPoint.oldestXid, checkPoint.oldestXidDB);

[...]
}

I also find a similar code in StartupXLOG(). Why we don't hold the lock
on OidGenLock when updating ShmemVariableCache->nextOid and
ShmemVariableCache->oidCount?

If the lock is unnecessary, I think adding some comments is better.

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

As its name BootStrapXLOG, it’s used in BootStrap mode to initialize the template database.
The process doesn’t speak SQL and the database is not ready.
There won’t be  concurrent access to variables.

Regards,
Zhang Mingli