Re: Doubts about replication.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Doubts about replication..
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/19/2018 10:57 AM, Edmundo Robles wrote:

> I have several versions of postgres 9.4.5, 9.4.4, 9.4.15 (3), 9.5.3
> in different versions of Debian 7.6, 7.8, 7.11, 8.5 and 8.6.
>
> I need to replicate the databases and I have clear that I must update
> all to one version.
> My main question is, Do you  recommended me update to 9.6 or better
> update to 10?.

If you have the choice go with 10 as you get an additional year of
community support.

> Actually, is not the goal have high availability . I will use
> replication as simple backup.
> For reasons of $$$ I can only have 1 server in which I will replicate
> the 6 databases.
>
> Do you recommend using a postgres service for the 6 databases?, or
> better, I think,   I must run  a postgres service in different ports,
> for each  database?.

I am assuming you are going to be using some form of logical replication
as binary replication will not work between Postgres major versions.

One cluster would be simpler to manage. The down side is that there are
cluster(global) data e.g. roles that would be shared by all the
databases. There is also the fact that everything is in one cluster and
should it fail all six databases will be down. Running as separate
clusters would give you some redundancy.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com