Re: pgAdmin 4 v5.1 Released - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: pgAdmin 4 v5.1 Released
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 2021-03-25 3:08 p.m., Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 20:46, Dave Caughey wrote:
>       Or perhaps give a "check for updates" option under any tips on how I can
>     update pgAdmin?
>
> That’s definitely a possibility.

Any GUI application with the ability to check for self-updates absolutely should
have some menu item or button one can explicitly invoke to run the check now.

This command is basically standard practice on all applications, at least on
MacOS, such that not having it is very unusual.  Even the simplest version at
least gives a link to a website to get the updater, if it can't do the
self-update itself, but most can self-update.

More generally, any automated process in an application that is less frequent
than every few minutes should have an explicit "do it now" command, that's just
more user friendly.

-- Darren Duncan