Re: Reminder of PUGs posting policy to News and -announce - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Selena Deckelmann
Subject Re: Reminder of PUGs posting policy to News and -announce
Date
Re: Reminder of PUGs posting policy to News and -announce
Re: Reminder of PUGs posting policy to News and -announce
List pgsql-advocacy
[taking this off -www for a marketing discussion]

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> WWW and moderators,
>
>  As a reminder, in our approval policy:
>  http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/NewsEventsApproval
>
>  We decided that PUGS would be entitled to post to -announce and /about/news
>  for two kinds of meetings:
>
>  1. their very first meeting
>  2. extra-special events like developer days

Ok, that makes sense.  If all 15+ groups posted all their meeting
announcements every month, it would probably double the traffic on
-announce :)

Do you have some suggestions for announcing the regional events? In
the past, groups seem to fade into obscurity after a few months --
even if they are meeting regularly. Posting only to the PUG lists I
think misses out on a huge opportunity to contact people who are
travelling, are new to PostgreSQL or didn't subscribe to their
regional mailing lists because of some other reason (not necessarily
because they never want to attend a meeting!).

Mailing lists are still the most effective way to let people know
about events (way better than blogs/rss/etc) -- and while some people
*do* search for regional information, most do not. Am I missing
another obvious place to post meeting announcements?

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group