Re: How can I build OSSP UUID support on Windows to avoid duplicate UUIDs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From MauMau
Subject Re: How can I build OSSP UUID support on Windows to avoid duplicate UUIDs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>> At this point, I think we need to consider ossp-uuid as dead code.
>
> Yeah, but what shall we replace it with?  And can we preserve the
> API contrib/uuid-ossp offers?  (Maybe we shouldn't even try, but
> just deprecate that module and start fresh.)

Would it be welcomed in this community if a patch for built-in UUID
generation functions are provided?  (I'm not saying I can provide them
soon.)  According to the following page, Linux has libuuid.so.  Microsoft
provides UuidCreate() as a Win32 API.  I don't know about other UNIXes.

MySQL, Oracle (and perhaps other DBMSs) offer UUID generation functions.  I
feel it convenient if I can use that function as the default value for a
column.

Regards
MauMau