RE: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Youngblood
Subject RE: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Date
Thing that makes me go "Hmmm"  (Bruce Tong <zztong@laxmi.ev.net>)
Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
While this message is a few days late, Linux does work on more than 2
processors.

I don't know the full details, but before the 2.2 series of kernels for
Linux was released, someone on the Linux-SMP list showed their boot
messages.

It was on a Sun (don't know which one) Sparc system with either 12, 20, or
22 processors (I don't remember how many -- search the archives if anyone is
really interested). While not a typical Linux installation and not Intel, it
did work with more than 4 processors.

I don't know how FreeBSD SMP compares to Linux. Linux SMP works quite nicely
on the systems I have running (dual PPro 200 with 256 meg RAM and IDE hard
drives). The IDE drives are definitely a bottleneck on large table queries.
I'm looking to move to SCSI.

As for the Intel vs. Sun SMP for this, Linux Postgres has worked very very
nicely for me so far. And performance has been pretty decent. I'm moving
more and move into the Postgres server. This server does both web and
postgres work for intranet applications. All of this on hardware that was
'retired' after desktops were upgraded. Bang for the buck, I can't argue
with the Linux/Intel combination. This would also seem to apply for FreeBSD,
even though I've never ran it and don't know anything about its
capabilities.

Gregory S. Youngblood
ext 2164