Re: pg_upgrade and umask - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade and umask
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The problem is that these files are being created often by shell
> redirects, e.g. pg_dump -f out 2> log_file.  There is no clean way to
> control the file creation permissions in this case --- only umask gives
> us a process-level setting.   Actually, one crafty idea would be to do
> the umask only when I exec something, and when I create the initial
> files with the new banner you suggested.  Let me look into that.

You could create empty log files with the desired permissions, and then
do the execs with >>log_file, and thereby not have to globally change
umask.

> Frankly, the permissions are already being modified by the default
> umask, e.g. 0022.  Do we want a zero umask?

I'm not so worried about default umask; nobody's complained yet about
wrong permissions on pg_upgrade output files.  But umask 077 would be
likely to do things like get rid of group access to postgresql.conf,
which some people intentionally set.