Re: code cleanup for tz - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: code cleanup for tz
Date
Re: code cleanup for tz
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think mostly what you are doing here is causing code drift from the
>> upstream "zic" code.  I don't think that's a very good idea, since we
>> do need to be able to track and apply bug fixes from them from time
>> to time ...

> Why run pgindent on the timezone code, then? That seems guaranteed to
> cause a lot more merge headaches...

Well, it's certainly hopeless to expect "patch" to fix it :-(.  But the
further the code drifts the harder it gets to compare manually.

This isn't an academic concern; I went through it once already, and I
expect we'll want to do it again every release cycle when we sync the
zic database with upstream.

            regards, tom lane