Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Wow, nice results.  My intuition on why PGXACT helped in the first place was that it minimized the number of cache
linesthat had to be touched to take a snapshot. Padding obviously would somewhat increase that again, so I can't quite
understandwhy it seems to be helping... any idea?

That's an interesting point.  I wonder whether this whole thing will be
useless or even counterproductive after (if) Heikki's CSN-snapshot patch
gets in.  I would certainly not mind reverting the PGXACT/PGPROC
separation if it proves no longer helpful after that.