From Damien Clochard
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] New Mailing List : pgsql-gui-dev@postgresql.org ?
Date
List pgsql-www
Le 29.11.2017 15:24, Simon Riggs a écrit :
> On 29 November 2017 at 20:29, Damien Clochard <damien@dalibo.info>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry to insist but my original message was a month ago and I have
>> no
>> idea how to proceed...
>
> Back in 2004, there was huge interest in setting up a special list to
> discuss PITR. We did, then everyone waited for me to write the
> feature.
>
> As a result we said "no more special purpose lists".
>
> If anybody is actually planning to write emails to this list, why not
> start writing them now? Why wait?
>
> Just use the prefix "GUI". If we get enough people writing emails and
> code, then maybe a special list is worth having.

To be honest my first intention was to set up a mailing list with google
groups just after the Warsaw meeting and start discussions right away.
But many people thought that having the list hosted on the
postgresql.org infra would send a strong message that the Postgres
community recognizes and supports the efforts to build better graphics
tools. This is why I asked for a new list here.

Now if you ask "why Graphic tools developpers do not currently send
their messages on some existing list ?". I would say that most of them
are not deeply involved in the postgres community and they don't feel
comfortable posting on the psql-hackers or some other lists because the
Postgres community does not seem to be a very supportive for UI
developpers and designers. I'm not saying it's true, I'm just saying
that psql-hackers does not sound like a place to discuss about UI/UX
design :)

I've searched for an existing mailing lists where those discussions
would be welcomed and I couldn't find any. If you have something to
suggest, I'm all ears !

--
Damien Clochard