Re: FW: Cygwin PostgreSQL Information and Suggestions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FW: Cygwin PostgreSQL Information and Suggestions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> forwards:
> 4. Cygwin PostgreSQL is perceived to have poor performance.  I have
> never done any benchmarks regarding this issue, but apparently Terry
> Carlin (from the defunct Great Bridge) did:

>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-08/msg00029.php

> Specifically, he indicates the following:

>     BTW, Up through 40 users, PostgreSQL under CYGWIN using the TPC-C
>     benchmark performed very much the same as Linux PostgreSQL on the
>     exact hardware.

It should be noted that the benchmark Terry is describing fires up
N concurrent backends and then measures the runtime for a specific query
workload.  So it's not measuring connection startup time, which is
alleged by some to be Cygwin's weak spot.  Nonetheless, I invite the
Postgres-on-Cygwin-isn't-worth-our-time camp to produce some benchmarks
supporting their position.  I'm getting tired of reading unsubstantiated
assertions.