Re: Add support for logging the current role - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add support for logging the current role
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> What's your suggestion, then?

> If there's a practical way to add the requested escape, add it to the
> text format and leave reengineering the CSV format for another day.
> Yeah, I know that's not the most beautiful solution in the world, but
> we're doing engineering here, not theology.

Well, the original patch was exactly that.  But I don't agree with that
approach; I think allowing the capabilities of text and CSV logs to
diverge significantly would be a mistake.  If a piece of information is
valuable enough to need a way to include it in textual log entries,
then you need a way to include it in CSV log entries too.  If it's not
valuable enough to do the work to support it in CSV, then we can live
without it.