Re: Three-byte Unicode characters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Three-byte Unicode characters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> So, we do have a bug, and we are probably going to need to fix it in
>> 8.0.X.

> This has never worked in all the years we have had Unicode
> functionality, so I don't understand why we have to rush to fix it now.
> Certainly, it ought to be fixed, but not in a minor release.

The reasons why we rejected applying John's patch at the tail end
of the 8.0 cycle are still valid: it is a new feature and there
is nontrivial risk of introducing new bugs (more specifically,
exposing bits of the system that aren't prepared for more-than-16-bit
characters).

I'm fine with changing it in the 8.1 cycle, but I think a back-patch
would be folly.