Re: massive speedup on temp table creation/destruction? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: massive speedup on temp table creation/destruction?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> On 8/31/06, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> What I found surprising is that I get numbers like 430 tps from HEAD
>> and 220 tps from REL8_1_STABLE.  This test case is of course not about
>> performance, but I'm not quite sure what we changed that would produce
>> a 2X speedup from 8.1.  Can anyone else replicate this?

> I did not confirm your results unfortunately. this is on quad opteron,

I was trying it on a dual Xeon EM64T with hyperthreading on ... I wonder
if we've unintentionally done something that optimizes for that platform?

I don't make any claim that this test case is interesting in itself,
but it might be telling us something about more-mainstream cases.