Re: Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From
Subject Re: Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote on 21.01.2005,
15:08:54:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 13:51, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Did you notice this?
> > >
> > > http://www.evansdata.com/n2/pr/releases/EDCDB05_01.shtml
> >

> > Actually it doesn't surprise me. How much you want to bet those 400
> > database developers are using Windows?
> >

> Found a follow up article which notes that 90% of the respondents used
> windows. Given that postgresql garnered 14% of the "market", that would
> mean that we got even 4% of windows users which imo is pretty good for
> pre-8.0 postgresql.

That's particularly interesting...some more context is...

Firebird Classic is "somewhat experimental" on Windows, according to the
manual. Firebird SuperServer is "fully mature" on Windows and Linux,
but is limited to a single CPU - if you inadvertently run it on a
multi-CPU system, you have to specifically add in a parameter to get it
to perform at all by switching back to just the one CPU again.

Also, Firebird latest release on AMD64 was recalled on 19th Jan  because
of Firebird database corruption issues.

So either 90% of these Enterprise users use a "somewhat experimental"
system, or they're only on a 1 CPU, which isn't the fastest ones
either. Hmmm...

Best Regards, Simon Riggs