Re: can I show number of records returned by a query in a log? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: can I show number of records returned by a query in a log?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 17 Listopad 2011, 2:07, hyelluas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to capture amount of data moving from client app to the server
> &
> back.
> The client is executable (c#) gue on windows,  server is lunix centOS,
> PostgreSQL 8.4.
> We see serious  performance difference between execution via LAN & VPN.

The VPN usually suck when it comes to a performance. Do some basic testing
at the network level - ping with/without VPN, throughput and you'll see
the difference. This is not a problem of the database, it's the
environment.

> I enabled the logging  and used  pgFouine to analyzed the logs and it
> looks
> very strange - 2000-3000 queries in 10 min.
>
> In one case I see the client (user is the client dbuser) query  "select *
> from vw_abc"  sent 10 times in 1 sec ( timestamp is the same), is it realy
> 10 times or it was logged 10 times ?
>
> I see 900 queries sent by 1 client in 7 min with 1 click on the screen -
> does the log show the real thing?

Yes, the log shows the real thing. Have you checked the log directly or
just the output of pgfounie? Theoretically there could be a bug in
pgfounie, repeating some of the queries, but I consider that highly
unlikely.

> Is it possible to log the number of records returned by that query?

Currently there's no such option. But it's possible to write a simple
extension that would do that - actually pg_stat_statements does that.

Tomas