Re: [patch] plproxy v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [patch] plproxy v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 09:32:57PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
>>> 2.  If cluster connection strings do not have 'user=' key,
>>> ' user=' || current_username() is appended to it.
>>
>> Cool, I missed that.  At minimum the documentation has to explain this
>> point and emphasize the security implications.  Is it a good idea
>> to allow user= in the cluster strings at all?

> I wondered about this myself.  Is there anything at all preventing me
> from doing 'user=' for some other user?  If not. . .

I think the assumption is that the cluster connection info would be set
up by a superuser.  However, if there's any way for a non-superuser to
subvert the info returned by the plproxy configuration functions, you
got trouble.  So a lot would depend on how carefully those are coded.