Re: \du quite ugly in 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: \du quite ugly in 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The reason it's an improvement of sorts is that there are now more
> possible attributes, and if we had kept adding columns it would have
> become wider than 80 columns.

Yeah, 8.4 has two more possible entries, and adding them as separate
columns would have guaranteed that the display doesn't fit in 80 cols.

> If there's a way to have the attributes as a single line,
> comma-separated, but that wraps around when exceeding the terminal
> width, I'm all for it.  We could also use that logic in a lot more
> \-commands, so it'd be worthwhile I think.

The hard part of that is the "wrap" bit.  I wonder how badly we need
that part though.  If we just made it comma-separated instead of
newline-separated, it would be a trivial code change, and I bet it would
still look okay for the typical case where the user has only a subset of
these properties.