Re: VACUUM vs VACUUM ANALYZE vs CLUSTER - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sheldon Hearn
Subject Re: VACUUM vs VACUUM ANALYZE vs CLUSTER
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:37:56 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Conversely, VACUUM just before CLUSTER is a complete waste of time,
> since any dead tuples that VACUUM might remove won't be copied by
> CLUSTER anyway.

Okay.  So I'm right in thinking that

-> VACUUM then CLUSTER            VACUUM pointless
-> VACUUM ANALYZE then CLUSTER        ditto
-> CLUSTER then VACUUM            ditto
-> CLUSTER then VACUUM ANALYZE        ANALYZE useful

> Feel free to submit suggested documentation patches... if you are
> confused, so will be those who follow, so tell us how to make it
> clearer!

Sure.  Is the HTML the documentation source format as well, or is there
some SGML or something else that I should create patches against?

BTW, you mentioned PostgreSQL 7.2.  I assume you were just pointing out
that you can ANALYZE independently of a VACUUM in 7.2, rather than
recommending its use in a hard-working production environment?

Last thing... any chance that CLUSTER will learn some time soon to
automatically recreate my indeces and grants for me? :-)

Thanks!

Ciao,
Sheldon.