Re: macaddr type (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: macaddr type (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> 1) the macaddr type is NOT documented in the datatypes and functions
>    documentation.
> 2) the manufacturer list in  the mac.c module is way out  of date.
>     this list can be updated from  http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
>     and massaging the oui.txt file available from there.

>     Is there anything I can do to help this?

Sure: do it and submit a patch.  Doc patches gratefully accepted, too.

>  Also, I noticed a discussion on the INET/CIDR types ongoing here, and
>  was wondering if there was a way to get an output function for these
>  types that would ALWAYS print all 4 octets of the adddress for use by
>  non-technical people.  I am currently writing an IP allocation and
>  tracking system using these types and find this a prioblem.

This probably ought to be one of the considerations in the INET/CIDR
redesign that we seem to be working on.  I haven't been paying much
attention to the details, but feel free to contribute to that thread.