Re: Application name patch - v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Application name patch - v2
Date
Re: Application name patch - v2
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> It would be a seriously bad idea for this to behave one way on some
>> platforms and differently on others.

> Why would that be so bad? On platforms that support getting argv[0],
> you'd get "mycoolapp" in the application name by default. On others,
> you'd get something like "unknown libpq app".

Right, and if your software is written to depend on the appname being
set a particular way, you suddenly find you have a portability problem.
I don't think we should be in the business of creating hidden vendor
lock-ins.