Re: Win32 hard crash problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> On 9/5/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> What do you mean by this? It doesn't start upon reboot? What is needed
>>> to make it start?
>>
>> It means that postgresql doesn't recover on its own. On linux if a
>> backend crashes all of PostgreSQL will restart and come back up if it can.
>>
>> On Win32 it doesn't.

> it does for me, at least for me when I used to work with windows :).
> I think it just doesn't restart for this particular type of crash.

As best I can tell, Josh isn't describing a crash at all.  Something
(possibly in the TCP stack) has locked up, but there's no way for the
postmaster to know there's anything wrong, and probably no way for the
postmaster to fix it if it did know.  Restarting backends certainly
isn't going to fix a communication problem.

Josh failed to answer the most important question though: