pg_dump SERIAL and SEQUENCE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurent ROCHE
Subject pg_dump SERIAL and SEQUENCE
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a problem with pg_dump generating a code with no SERIALs id but with SEQUENCEs instead: if I write in a SERIAL I want to see a SERIAL, even when I reload the database.
We had this conversation before on this mailing list and I was told that's because SERIAL is just a kind of macro generating the same thing as the equivalent code translated using SEQUENCE.

This is not true however, if I create tab_a like this:
CREATE TABLE tab_a (
cola1 SERIAL
);
and tab_b like this (whic is what pg_dump will do)
CREATE SEQUENCE tab_b_colb1_seq;
CREATE TABLE tab_b(
colb1 integer DEFAULT nextval('tab_b_colb1_seq') NOT NULL
);

Then when I drop tab_b, the SEQUENCE tab_b_colb1_seq is not dropped, however when I drop tab_a,  the SEQUENCE tab_a_cola1_seq is dropped too !
I am using PG 8.1 and ALTER SEQUENCE ...   OWNED BY  does not exist ! ! !

Cheers,
L@u
The Computing Froggy