Re: executing dynamic commands - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From christian.michels@eifelgeist.com
Subject Re: executing dynamic commands
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanx for the quick response !
Sorry for asking a bit confusing question ... Using the View is a good idea but does not fully solve my problem. To
makeit a bit more clear: I want to copy all records from table1 to table2 assuming that the two tables have exactly the
samecolumn definition and column order. I could do that executing INSERT INTO tablefoo1 SELECT * FROM tablefoo2;

But how can I do the copying if the column order is different between tablefoo1 and tablefoo2 ?
My approach was to dynamically assemble a string1 with all fieldnames and a string2 with the corresponding field values
rowper row using a plpgsql function. The result would be a row per row copying using INSERT INTO tablefoo1 (string1)
VALUES(string2). My problem is that I not manage to read the fieldvalues row by row.

Do you have any idea ?

Thanx a lot !

Regards

Chris