Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy]
Date
Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy]
List pgsql-hackers
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> Is setting the max connections to something like 200 reasonable, or likely
> to cause too many problems?

That would likely run into number-of-semaphores limitations (SEMMNI,
SEMMNS).  We do not seem to have as good documentation about changing
that as we do about changing the SHMMAX setting, so I'm not sure I want
to buy into the "it's okay to expect people to fix this before they can
start Postgres the first time" argument here.

Also, max-connections doesn't silently skew your testing: if you need
to raise it, you *will* know it.