Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re:
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 12:55, Tom Lane wrote:
> "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> > Is setting the max connections to something like 200 reasonable, or likely
> > to cause too many problems?
>
> That would likely run into number-of-semaphores limitations (SEMMNI,
> SEMMNS).  We do not seem to have as good documentation about changing
> that as we do about changing the SHMMAX setting, so I'm not sure I want
> to buy into the "it's okay to expect people to fix this before they can
> start Postgres the first time" argument here.
>
> Also, max-connections doesn't silently skew your testing: if you need
> to raise it, you *will* know it.

Besides, I'm not sure that it makes sense to let other product needs
dictate the default configurations for this one.  It would be one thing
if the vast majority of people only used PostgreSQL with Apache.  I know
I'm using it in environments in which no way relate to the web.  I'm
thinking I'm not alone.

Regards,

--
Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net>