Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900
Date
Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900  (Chris Mair <list@1006.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Chris <list@1006.org> writes:
> I've compiled 8.0 beta 1 on a R5900 V3.1 (a playstation 2) running
> Linux (PS2 Linux 1) for portability testing.
> I'm wondering: would it be hard to fix the assembly spinlock code
> for the R5900?

According to the previous port report from Red Hat, the PS2 chip simply
doesn't have any user-space TAS instruction, so you're pretty much stuck.
If you can find something that works, let us know.

> If that's not worth the trouble, would it be a good idea to have
> configure disable spinlocks automagically on unsupported platforms?

It used to do that.  We deliberately changed this in 8.0 so that people
would be aware that they were losing performance, and would be motivated
to look into possible solutions.