Re: Interesting message about printf()'s in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Interesting message about printf()'s in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> Whilst looking around for some more PostgreSQL related stuff, this
> message turned up:
> http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/sardonix/2002-February/000051.html

I see one unsubstantiated allegation about PG intermixed with a ton
of content-free navel-gazing.  Don't waste my time.

There was some considerable effort awhile back towards eliminating
unsafe printfs in favor of snprintfs and similar constructs; I doubt
that the comments in that message postdate that effort.

I have no doubt that some problems remain (cf recent agonizing over
whether there is a buffer overrun problem in the date parser) ...
but unspecific rumors don't help anyone.  As always, the best form of
criticism is a diff -c patch.