Re: [HACKERS] translatable string fixes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] translatable string fixes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> It took me a very long time to figure out how to translate these 9.6-new
> strings in the AM validate routines:
> msgid "gin operator family \"%s\" contains support procedure %s with cross-type registration"
> Maybe we can use this phrasing:
> "gin operator family %s contains support procedure %s registered with different left and right types"

OK with me, or maybe better "support procedure %s with different left and
right input types".  I doubt "registered" adds much.

> The other complaint I have about this one and also other amvalidate
> functions is the hardcoded AM name, so it's actually one string per AM,
> which is annoying (a total of twenty-something messages which are
> actually only four or five different ones).  Ignoring the second part of
> the phrase now, we could use this:
>   "operator family %s of access method %s contains support procedure %s with cross-type registration"

If that seems better to the actual translators, it's OK with me. It's
not real clear where is the boundary between combining near-duplicate
messages and assembling messages at runtime.