Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>)
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>)
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh@cs.berkeley.edu>)
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be>)
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Several people have asked if we are losing momentum.

I don't think we are losing momentum considering the project in
isolation --- things seem to be moving as well as they ever have,
if not better.

But I do sometimes worry that we are losing the mindshare war.
We might be growing fine, but if we're growing slower than MySQL is,
we've got a problem.  I was just in the local Barnes & Noble store
yesterday, and could not help but notice how many books had "MySQL" in
the title.  I didn't notice a single Postgres title (though I did not
look hard, since I was just passing through the computer area).

Mindshare eventually translates into results, if only because it
means that capable developers will gravitate there instead of here.
So we need to worry about it.

There isn't anyone presently willing to spend real money and effort on
marketing PG (as you say, Red Hat won't, for reasons that have nothing
to do with the merits of the product).  That means that MySQL's
marketeers have a free hand to do things like boast about features that
might materialize in a year or so :-(

I don't know what we can do about it, other than maybe push harder to
get some more PG titles into O'Reilly's catalog ... that would help
narrow the bookshelf gap a little, at least.  Any wannabee authors
out there?  (And Bruce, your book is due for a second edition...)