Re: Machine available for community use - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Machine available for community use
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yeah, I'd vote for people just building private PG installations in
>> their own home directories.  I am not aware of any performance-testing
>> reason why we'd want a shared installation, and given that people are
>> likely to be testing many different code variants, a shared

> The only caveat here is that our thinking was that the actual arrays
> would be able to be re-provisioned all the time. E.g; test with RAID 10
> with x stripe size, Software RAID 6, what is the real difference
> between 28 spindles with RAID 5 versus 10?

Well, we need some workspace that won't go away when that happens.
I'd suggest that the OS and people's home directories be mounted on
a "permanent" partition with plenty of space for source code, say a
few tens of GB, and then there be a farm of data workspace that's
understood to be transient and can be reconfigured as needed for tests
like that.