Re: Vacuum summary? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuum summary?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 12:38 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> What do you guys think of having a vacuum summary command? E.g.;

> How about putting this in the logfile, without any command changes?

Actually, tying it to VACUUM might not have been such a great idea in
the first place.  I think I did that because (a) the info is more likely
to be up to date just after a VACUUM (though when you consider an entire
installation rather than just one DB, this argument has big holes); and
(b) people were already accustomed to seeing a lot of blather from a
VACUUM VERBOSE command.

It'd be relatively easy I think to extract the current FSM statistics
in a function that could be invoked separately from VACUUM.  Not sure
how we ought to return 'em though --- the VACUUM way of a bunch of INFO
messages is a bit old-fashioned.  Maybe a statistics view?