[Re] [Re] Re: PANIC: could not write to log file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Cyril VELTER
Subject [Re] [Re] Re: PANIC: could not write to log file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 21/11/12 20:39:01 mailto:cyril.velter@metadys.com wrote:
> On 21/11/12 18:10:12, mailto:jeff.janes@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Cyril VELTER <cyril.velter@metadys.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >    After upgrading a pretty big database (serveral hundred gig) from 8.2 to 9.2 I'm getting some "PANIC:  could
notwrite to log file" messages. Actually I
> > > got two of them. One yesterday and one today.
> >
> > How was the upgrade done?
>
>    The upgrade was done with the following steps :
>
>    * create a new cluster using 9.2.1 initdb
>    * run pg_dump | psql using the 9.2.1 binairies on a linux machines (both
> servers the old 8.2 and the new 9.2.1 running on windows machines).
  I follow up on my previous message. Just got two more crash today very similar to the first ones :

PANIC:  could not write to log file 118, segment 237 at offset 2686976, length 5578752: Invalid argument
STATEMENT:  COMMIT
PANIC:  could not write to log file 118, segment 227 at offset 9764864, length 57344: Invalid argument
STATEMENT:  COMMIT

for memory the first ones are

PANIC:  could not write to log file 117, segment 117 at offset 5660672, length 4096000: Invalid argument
STATEMENT:  COMMIT
PANIC:  could not write to log file 118, segment 74 at offset 12189696, length 475136: Invalid argument
STATEMENT:  COMMIT

I dug a bit in the source code and the error is in XLogWrite in xlog.c. MSDN states that an EINVAL return code from
writemean that the buffer is NULL which seem pretty strange. Any help on what I can do to solve this situation would be
greatlyapreciated.

One thing I forgot to mention on my first message. I'm running the 32 bits binaries on a win2003 64 bits and no
antivirusis running on the machine.

Regards,

Cyril VELTER