Re: Air-traffic benchmark - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jochen Erwied
Subject Re: Air-traffic benchmark
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thursday, January 7, 2010, 2:47:36 PM you wrote:

> so I understand from all of you that you don't consider the use of 25k
> for sorting to be the cause of the slowdown? Probably I am missing

Maybe you are reading the plan wrong:

- the sort needs only 25kB of memory, and finishes in sub-second time,
  mainly because the sort only sorts the already summarized data, and not
  the whole table
- the sequential scan takes 346 seconds, and thus is the major factor in
  time to finish!

So the total query time is 371 seconds, of which 346 are required to
completely scan the table once.

--
Jochen Erwied     |   home: jochen@erwied.eu     +49-208-38800-18, FAX: -19
Sauerbruchstr. 17 |   work: joe@mbs-software.de  +49-2151-7294-24, FAX: -50