Re: [PERFORM] encouraging index-only scans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PERFORM] encouraging index-only scans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 07:31:03PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
>> I am not saying it shouldn't be improved, I just don't see the point of
>> bringing it up while everyone is busy with the last CF and claiming it
>> is unusable and that stating that it is surprisising that nobody really
>> cares.

> Well, I brought it up in September too. My point was not that it is a
> new issue but that it has been such an ignored issue for two years.  I
> am not asking for a fix, but right now we don't even have a plan on how
> to improve this.

Indeed, and considering that we're all busy with the CF, I think it's
quite unreasonable of you to expect that we'll drop everything else
to think about this problem right now.  The reason it's like it is
is that it's not easy to see how to make it better; so even if we did
drop everything else, it's not clear to me that any plan would emerge
anytime soon.